Agricultural Livestock Cooperative of Western Greece
Agricultural and Livestock Union of Western Greece (Frizarta) is responsible for the genetic improvement of the Frizarta dairy sheep of Greece. The Cooperative was founded in 2004 and it is located in the Agrinio distinct. Its main tasks are: animal tagging and performance recording, genetic evaluation, animal selection (also genomic selection), artificial insemination and the promotion of the Frizarta breed.
In order to achieve its aims, partnership is activated to the following directions:
- Taking part in a governmental action of improving the productive performance of the animals
- Taking part in Greek research projects (SheepGenSel – Genomic selection in dairy sheep, Amnoselect) for animal breeding
- Taking part in EU research projects (iSAGE, SMARTER) for animal breeding
- Establish its own artificial insemination laboratory
- Collaborates Academical Institutes (Agricultural University of Athens, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki) in Greece
In the fore-coming future Partnership is aiming to duplicate its members and its milk production too. Also, there is the intention to extend its activities to the production of high quality meat products and to take part in programs, founded by EC, to establish Greek standards for livestock products.