This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 772787.
Other communication activities
SMARTER representatives will attend numerous events where the latest project developments, progresses and results will be presented to the audience.
- INIA-UY Communication Campaign: Pro Ovinos- Towards the recovery of the national sheep flock and its value chains on Charrúa TV, 11th June 2021.
- AUTH interview on ERT National Greek TV channel, 19th April 2021.
- NSG interview Måler utslipp fra sau on Telemark (Norwegian National TV), to inform the civil society about methane emission measurements on sheep, 1st February 2021.
- NSG radio interview on methane emission from sheep. Channel NRK P1+, program “Ferievikarene”, 1st July 2020.
- NSG interview on measurement of methane emission from sheep in the PAC equipment as a part of the SMARTER project. TV program ” NRK – Oslo og Viken”, 24th June 2020.
- INRAE interview on BOUDU magazine, December 2018.
- NSG organized 2 meetings with sheep breeders: 1) Presentation: “NSG actions to reduce GHG”– Rogaland (Norway 15thOctober 2021); 2) Presentation: “NSG actions to reduce GHG” – Sogn og Fjordane (Norway, 29th October 2021).
- TEXELS gave a report to Society Breed Development Committee on progress of data collection and description of data collected in Leamington Spa (United Kingdom, October 2021).
- ARAL organized 5 meetings with Italian goats’ breeders and technicians (from July 2020 to October 2021) to give an update on SMARTER project, WP7 interview and survey presentation.
- IDELE and INRAE organised two workshop to give an update on SMARTER project to French stakeholders, especially on results on WP1 on-farm protocols: 1) Saint-Affrique (France, 23rdSeptember 2021), presentation “Set of slides on results on WP1 on-farm protocol in Lacaune breed”; 2) Ordiap (France, 24th September 2021), presentation “Set of slides on results on WP1 on-farm protocol in Pyrenean breeds”. In both the events the following presentations were given: 1) “Introduction_Restitution SMARTER_IRMA_Cyclicité”; 2) “SMARTER_cyclicite_P4_lait_Aveyron”.
- TEXELS participated to four trade fairs in Welshpool (Welsh National), Worcester (English National), Lanark (Scottish National) and Bellymena (NI National) to give an update on SMARTER project and discuss with the English breeders (United Kingdom, August/September 2021).
- TEXELS organised the Texel National Show in Carlisle (United Kingdom, 30th July 2021) to give an update on SMARTER project and discuss with the English breeders.
- SRUC participated to a virtual meeting with Goat Improvement Group (8th July 2021).
- SRUC participated to the workshop “Breeding solutions to improve sheep health” (virtual meeting, 6th July 2021).
- TEXELS participated to three trade fairs in Devon (Devon County Show), Edinburgh (Royal Highland Show) and Harrogate (Great Yorkshire Show) to give an update on SMARTER project and discuss with the English breeders (United Kingdom, June/July 2021).
- CAPGENES participated to a meeting to give an update on SMARTER project to French stakeholders (breeders and breeding organisations) in Aveyron (France, 8th April 2021). Presentation: “Etat avancement du project SMARTER”.
- IDELE, RDF and INRAE organised three meetings to give an update on SMARTER project to French stakeholders (breeders and breeding organisations), especially on-farm protocols (WP1 &WP2) and about SMARTER program: 1) Virtual meeting (23rd February 2021), oral presentation; 2) Virtual meeting (3rd June 2021), presentation: “CTOA_Smarter”; 3) Saint -Affrique (France, 22nd June 2021), oral presentation.
- TEXELS participated to a workshop as Guest speaker with breeders club discussing all aspects of Texel research (virtual, 27th January 2021). Presentation: “Texel Society research and breed development”.
- TEXELS gave a report on Society research and development activities to a regional club membership (Virtual, January 2021).
- IDELE, RDF and INRAE organised some meetings to give an update on SMARTER project to French stakeholders (breeders and breeding organisations), especially on-farm protocols (WP1 &WP2) and present the first results: 1) Langeac (France, 2nd -3rd September 2020), two presentations: “SMARTER Phénotypage en ferme OA” and “SMARTER rappel project”; 2) Virtual meeting (29th September 2020), presentation: “Dissemination_FGE_CTOA_SMARTER_GTG_WP1”; 3) Gaillac (France, 20th October 2020), presentation: “OVIN LAITIER – protocole SMARTER brebis – campagne 2020”.
- RDF organised a meeting to give an update on SMARTER project to French stakeholders (breeders and breeding organisations) in Vendee (France, 16th and 17th September 2020);
- INIA-UY participated to the event Corriedale 2030 in Montevideo (Uruguay, 16th September 2020) with the presentation: “CORRIEDALE 2030, Project pitch and productive results”.
- SRUC organised an online workshop “Q&A session regarding sheep breeding topics with RISS sheep data group” to discuss Concepts and application of R&D (19th August 2020).
- IDELE, RDF, INRAE and CAPGENES participated to the virtual France Génétique Elevage meeting (25th June 2020) to give an update on SMARTER project to French stakeholders (breeders and breeding organisations), especially on-farm protocols (WP1 &WP2). Presentation: “Dissemination FGE”
- SRUC and TEXELS organised an online workshop “Discussion – Key aspects of using VIA data for carcass evaluation” to discuss results and potential future implementation (29th April 2020).
- INIA-UY made a presentation “Proposal for genetic research with the Texel breed” during the Texel Breeders Meeting (INIA Las Brujas, Canelones, Uruguay, 22nd January 2020).
- IDELE organised a meeting with French breeders in Paris (France, 28th June 2019) to give them update on the protocols and get feedback.
- ARAL organized 11 meetings with Italian goats’ breeders (from January 2019 to January 2020) to present SMARTER project.
- SRUC presented SMARTER activities to industry at the following events: a) iTEXEL (17/11/2018); b) Industry meeting (held virtually on 29/04/2019) with key abattoir sector and terminal sire sheep meat breeders to showcase proposed new abattoir-derived carcass evaluation and health traits; c) Sheep Breeders’ Round Table November (15-17/11/2019). And during the following Industry Events: a) Highland Sheep (12/06/2019); b) National Sheep Association North Sheep (5/05/2019); c) Royal Highland Show (20-23 June 2019).
- TEXELS participated to the following Industry events: a) NSA Sheep Northern Ireland 2019 (7/1/2019); b) NSA Welsh Sheep 2019 (21/5/2019); c) NSA North Sheep 2019 (5/6/2019); d) NSA Sheep South West 2019 (18/6/2019); e) Sheep Breeders’ Round Table November (16/11/2019),
- SRUC gave an update of SRUC sheep research to North Wyke sheep research group (United Kingdom, 29th October 2021).
- OVIGEN participated to the Livestock Exhibition SALAMAQ in Salamanca with a stand to give information about SMARTER project (Spain, September 2021).
- NSG provided information about GHG emission and GHG actions at the Norwegian Association of Sheep and Goat Breeders to the students at the agricultural university NMBU. Presentation: “Klimatiltak i NSG” (18/08/2021).
- OVIGEN organised a training course in Zamora to give information about SMARTER project (Spain, July 2021).
- SRUC participated to Eastbio student seminar (Online, 24th February 2021). Presentation: “Tools to breed sheep with lower methane emissions”.
- INIA-UY participated in the Iberoamerican Researchers’ Night (part of European Researchers’ Night) in Montevideo (Uruguay, 27th November 2020) with the proposal “Spain-Uruguay linked by sheep: from the Adelantados to genomics”. It was an activity aimed at high school students and the general public. The current research proposal related to SMARTER project was also presented. The full presentation can be found on YouTube.
- TEAGASC participated in a panel discussion in the “breeding and genetics session” within the TEAGASC sheep virtual week 2020, (22/09/2020).
- INIA-UY made a presentation “It is possible to innovate in sheep: the case of Fine Merino in Uruguay” at the Veterinary Faculty course in Montevideo (Uruguay, 21st August 2020).
- NSG provided information on project activities about portable accumulation chambers (PAC) equipment to measure methane emission of sheeps on commercial farms to the Norwegian Agricultural University (three times between November 2018 – April 2020) and the Landbrukets Klimaselskap AS (consortium of 16 Norwegian agricultural organizations).
- INRAE made an oral presentation of the project during the joint event organized in Brussels by Fitter Livestock Farming “What R&I can deliver to support climate mitigation and adaptation in livestock farming” (Belgium, 6th November 2019). Moreover, a poster was presented and some brochures distributed.
- Visit of Interbull Center in Uppsala (Sweden, 27th – 28th May 2019). IDELE presentation: “SMARTER: a European project on selection on efficiency and resilience in small ruminants with strong ICAR commitment and implication”.
- UNILEON presented SMARTER activities within ASSAFE management committees, in collaboration with OVIGEN (June 2019) and within the ANCHE Breeding program management committee (21st May 2019 in Palencia, Spain).